|Photo Credit: aboutmodafinil.com|
- At age 24, I suffered a stroke
- Blood clot on the left side of brain caused right side paralysis.
- No drugs were given.
- After a period of time, my brain “re-wired” itself over the dead spot so I could function again.
- Looking at me, you can’t tell anything is wrong. (Talking with me is a different story – but I digress.)
Here’s what most people don’t know about my brain:
- When I’m tired, my right side, speech, and function slow down considerably.
- When I’m stressed, the same happens.
- When my brain has to concentrate on ANYTHING else, i.e., staying awake, calming nerves, etc…, it becomes “un-wired” and I experience stroke-like symptoms again.
Sometimes months go by and I forget I have issues.
My beloved boot-camp – the exercise program I love to hate – needed to re-vamp their schedule. The only time I’m able to now attend is at 5:15 am. I thought I could be one of those groovy women who did more before my kids woke up than most people do in a day. Alas, by noon, I was out of commission. At least, my brain was. I tried it for 2 days and pushed my body through when I shouldn’t have.